Friday 2 November 2007

Half An Orange

Today I will be talking about Soulmates!
Personally I don’t believe in them. Actually, not only do I find the idea very pretentious (oh yes, humans are so important they have fate creating a perfect counterpart to complete them), very redundant (how can a human being, as complex, versatile and ever-changing as we are fit perfectly with another complex, versatile and ever-changing being?), I also find it depressing.
Yes, my friends, Marina finds the romantic idea of soulmates DEPRESSING.
Why? Because the Soulmate Principle maintains that each human being has a corresponding person with which they will be the happiest.
Now, considering how many people there are in the world, and how pathetically small each person’s ‘bubble of life’ really is, what are the chances that we will even graze sights with this so-called-soulmate?
And now, who says that your soulmate has to coincide time wise? In all of history, your soulmate could have died or not be born yet.
An taking in account divorce rates, not all people find soulmates.
This pessimistic prospect that the only person with which we would be truly happy is unreachable isn’t my idea of romance. Actually, it sounds more like tragedy to me.

Yet still, people believe in this idea of soulmateism willingly, eagerly, whilst I rejoice that the fact that soulmates don’t exist is so much better.
Why!?
Because something which is fought for is so much delicious than something which is simply given!
Let me explain with an example! (I sure like them don’t I?)
My Mum and Dad (I seem to like them a lot as well) are by no means perfect for each other. Actually sometimes I wonder how they ever got together. I know people say opposites attract- but love is chemistry, not physics, apparently, because honestly you need a basis of UNDERSTANDING for a relationship to truly work, common ground in which to play with (please someone take note of my witty metaphors). .. . . . . . . . . . Listen to me
Yet despite all their differences they love each other. The kind of love that lasts. They still go out to the cinema and dinners, they kiss and hold hands and curl up in the couch together. They talk, they enjoy, they fight, they are happy together.
Maybe, probably, most likely, they would be happier with someone else if they had not met each other. And that’s what makes their relationship so beautiful. Not that fate brought them together, not that they are perfect for each other, but that they AREN’T and yet they are still together! That they changed for each other, shifted to fit to each other.
Personally I find that so much better, so much more romantic than the idea of soulmates. That one day we will find someone and not that- poof! It was meant to be. But that we will break up with one person, with another; learning, learning, until we find that common ground and BUILD, FIGHT.

Honestly, it would be boring if it were too easy.
The point isn’t finding someone who is perfect with for you, or ignoring the faults of the person so as to be able to love them. The point is finding the person which you don’t mind not being perfect with; finding the person which’s strengths outshine the weaknesses in YOUR EYES.
<3<3<3<3

3 comments:

Enigma said...

Firstly, if you knew anything about the literary movement called Romanticism, from which the modern-day concept derives, you'd know that this does in fact have tragic connotations. Second of all, you seem to tolerate the fact that people believe in a God as a means of having hope, yet for someone to believe that they are destined to love seems to repulse you. Third of all, how are you to know that the people that get together no matter what, despite differences and imprefections in the relationship, aren't soulmates? Why must soulmates be perfect for each other?

Marina said...

The definition of a soulmates is someone who is perfect for you, the other half of your ‘orange’, who ‘completes the puzzle’ etc etc. Ignoring that these sound like innuendos, the point is that the metaphors are alluding to someone which compliments your character completely, and so this is where I get that a soulmate is someone which is perfect for you; it is (my) definition of soulmate.

Now, you are missing my point. Firstly, on the line of the God comment, I never said that the idea of an existing God doesn’t repulse me, I just said that people believing in God I like. Similarly, I didn’t say the idea of people believing in Soulmates is repulsive, I just maintain that the idea of soulmates disagrees with by biology.
And you’re right, two people that work at their love may still be soulmates, and yet that doesn’t affect the two points I’m making: firstly that the idea of soulmates is depressing because of the low chance of meeting yours and secondly that I dislike the idea because I dislike pre-determined things in general and I find it better and more beautiful that two people struggle in their love because they want to and not because they’re 'magically' soulmates.

Moustache Fever said...

you keep telling this d*** of a person, so very highly opinionated but never seems to fight back... says it all really doesn't it?