Thursday 31 July 2008

Blue Paper Boats

One of the days in La Manga was especially fun.
Despite the fact it started a little slow with four hours of wandering around the house half-starved to death, it all started looking up when Little Doggy arrived home, calling out in Japanese, “I’m home!” to which I replied “Welcome back!”
As she saw me, leaning towards the oven in a little blue skirt, she laughed and happily pointed out how I looked like a wife at work, and said that the funny image made her day.

We went to the beach after lunch, where we spent most of the day. Firstly communing again with the sea, in which we caught waves whilst I said very truthfully, ‘being in the sea makes me want to purr,” which Little Doggy proclaimed the strange phrase of the day.

(Mira Lola, me estoy mojando)
We saw a giant fish surfing and as Little Doggy left to take a nap I stayed, floating easily even though the waves were a little rough by putting the back of my head towards them, tilting and swaying under the blue sky like a boat, peering at the clouds in the distance.
There was a wonderful moment underwater when the sea was pushing me towards the shore and I was swimming deeper in and as I closed my eyes is seemed as if I were moving but going nowhere at all. As if I were suspended, caught in a dream, and, strangely and confusingly I thought ‘Take me with you. No, don’t steal me. No, take me with you,’ And it was especially strange because I really meant it.
We had a little adventure after lying in the sun listening to music for a while as we took a walk with my camera and I photographed whatever we found was interesting, the best of which were two boys sitting crossed legged with even their hands posed in the meditating position and a ball of sand on each of their heads. The Zen Kids. Also, a large man lounging in a hole he had made, who we later found out was their father and looked like a big tanuki.
The day was absolutely filled with bursts of laughter between me and Little Doggy which would scare anyone looking at us, and was topped off with the delicious meal in a Chinese restaurant with an orgasmic fried-ice cream dessert which caused a very...interesting conversation.
Once back in the farm my other cousins, my brother, his friends and I went to another beach which was also loads of fun. At the end I took loads of photographs which turned out great. I may even do another only-photographic post for you guys :3 Some of the other days were a little more turbulent as I seemed to somehow always get hurt/sick but it was always the consequence of having too much fun.

Then there was the Jazz concert, which was amazing. We started on the seats, and technically should have stayed there as it was a sort of stadium/auditorium, but a hippy girl started dancing at the base of the stage and more people went down and in the end the two of my cousins and I that had gone to the concert were dancing to the sound of the low, amazing voices, the great instruments, the mind-blowing combinations. Even a cricket joined the fray, scuttling around in the stage, painted in the blue lights. We laughed and I loved the expressions we could see up close, the way the second jazz singer imitated the guitar with his voice, the way the bassist danced. There was a point when a video cameraman pointed his camera at us and I grinned widely and did the peace sign and I saw him laugh as I turned back to dancing. At the end my feet were killing me but we all had an ear-to-ear grin on our faces.

Despite all the good stuff that’s happening, though, the best thing about this place is that I’ve always got something to look forward to. Go Karts, beach escapades, shopping in the stands, clubbing, cinema, dining out, great walks, and even the lazy days are worth mentioning.
Aaaah, good old summer. What would I do without you?

No comments: