Sunday 18 May 2008

One Inch

(To be read gently. Like a whisper, or a suggestion, or a dream. With a songs such as 'Bird Gerhl' or the second half of 'Valerie' from the mentioned film)

It is dawning slowly and noiselessly, tinting the sky deep, almost imaginary colours.
As I watched this, I think about a quote from the V for Vendetta Film;

It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years I had roses and apologized to no one. I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must NEVER let them take it from us. I hope that whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the worlds turns, and that things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you.
With all my heart, I love you.
Valerie.


Which lead me to think, don’t we each have an inch of ourselves which we hide deep inside our minds, only shared, maybe, with those closest to you? With lovers and best friends. But why do we guard it? Guard it so close to us that we may lose it forever, like the treasure of a dead pirate. To capture and keep our self-image, or for self-preservation? Are we so afraid of each other that we feel the need to guard ourselves? And even more sadly, isn’t that caution justified?
Why can’t we just love like Valerie does?
Why can’t we respect, why can’t we accept, why can’t we live and let live? Why do we spend money on things which we just want when there are people who don’t have what they need? Why are we breaking something that we can't fix? These aren’t just questions. These are realities. Realities. Isn’t that strange? Ungraspable. The notion that there are so many other people who feel as you feel, and are loved as you're are loved, and hurt as you are hurt.
I’m sure you are tired of hearing this from me. But I can’t help but feel that there is this sort of missing space within me where some sort of peace should be occupying with roses and no apologies.
So here it goes. My inch. Five things that either no one knows or people have forgotten. All mundane and inconsequential and mine.

As many of you know, for a while the pills I was taking dried my lips out so that I had to constantly buy lip balm to apply every ten minutes. But as many of you also know, I am disorganized and far too scattered, and lost so many of them that I kept having to buy more. But now I keep finding them; in the pocked of an old pair of jeans, at the bottom of a drawer, under my bed, in my locker. I thought about what a quirk that was, to seem to be sprouting chap sticks everywhere, and found myself relating to it somehow. And now when I struggle with something, or when I am worried, or when I need it, I encourage myself by saying ‘Come on chapstick girl! You can do it!’ as if I were a superhero with the right so save anybody.
One of my first crushes was a complete cliché. He hit me with a ball on the head. And not any ball; a big, tough, basketball. I was sitting down and was so dazed that when I came-to I had a crowd of people circling me and the source of my future affection had his arm around me, asking if I was ok. My mind went straight from ‘paaaiinnn’ to ‘OMG his ARM is AROUND me!!!
One of my greatest fears is time-travelling back in time but there are two things I regret (not) doing so much; so, so much, that I would alter the present simply to change what happened in consequence to my lack of action.
There are a pair of beauty spots in the same place on both my legs. They are my lucky beauty spots and I press them when I need any extra luck. They are chapstick-girl’s source of power.
I wholeheartedly believe that the sea can’t kill me. Maybe because of my name or the beach of my childhood or because when I was little and played being a creature or a mage of any kind I was always the water element (and even now when people suggest I am fire I will internally call them an utter, utter fool, even though it suits be so much better). When I walk on the shoreline I feel this life and compatibility with the sea which can’t be normal, as if I’m walking with an old friend that I know will never betray me. And if ever a person objected this point a part of me would dislike them instantly and forever.

Those are my five points, for all the world to see. This is very hard for me and I will surely regret it at times but I’m making a point to myself. Because I want to love like Valerie does, and be able to give myself completely to the wind like that.
So, I do not request or demand or even ask, I simply invite, suggest, you do the same. Share five things that no one else knows, or that only a lover would know. And when you die and those who know you die also this ‘inch’ will be here, floating in cyberspace.
Flying.

1 comment:

Moustache Fever said...

You're my hero, Chapstick girl - you always pop up when not expected, or when I need you most, in fact, you always pop up! Forever.