Saturday 27 October 2007

Hey there, Freckles

I think it’s amazing what people do and do not find beautiful. That something can be attractive to one person and unattractive to another. And I’m going beyond obvious things like size and talking about specific features. I will portray this with the example of freckles. I myself don’t have many and find them completely charming.
Gorgeous.
Yet I’ve known people with dot-covered skin who hates them the same way most people detest wrinkles or acne.

My theory is that the attitude towards a feature depends on experience, which seems pretty obvious because if someone is constantly bullied and criticised for having freckles they would associate them with unhappiness and pain and therefore wish
for a lack of freckles. People who are flattered and complimented by them would be in the opposite position, they would hold positive feelings towards their freckles, like a mirror for the positive feelings other people reflect on them.
Or more commonly, people who seen models with freckle-free skin can do nothing more but associate beauty with frecklelessness.

Little Goldfish

And so I wonder, if something humongous, terrifying happened, and any kind of media or advertising were banned or disabled, how would we regard beauty in 500 years?

I may be contradicting myself now but beyond all the difference in opinion, there is still an iconic image which is typical beauty. A ‘nice figure’ is hourglassed. Nice features are smooth, distinctive.
But if we didn’t have models showing us that beauty, no adverts telling us how to achieve it, would we forget that image? In those 500 years, would different countries develop their own kind of beauty, or would the whole world devise a healthier version of past beauty?
This is like trying to write history for the fiction section.
(Impossible.)

What is beauty but a mere illusion, therefore? One which we cannot break ourselves out of, just like we can’t force something to taste good or a note to sound melodic. And though this is true, and everybody knows this (making this post rather pointless) I find it...nice. Even though we seemed chained by the conditions society has set upon us, our view of beauty is a sense of freedom. Something which I believe is purely human, and humans have so little to boast about that I find myself doing
Just
That.



As final point of humour, please look at this and then read the artist's comment.
I agree completely!

2 comments:

Enigma said...

Well this would seem a question far broader than you had first imagined... Marina, is it? Everything in the world could be subjected to the one question: what is the norm and how does it compare to this? What we need to ask ourselves is whether the absolute truth of things exists. In this case it would be: what is the Idea of Beauty? Is it a convention or a universal entity? Perhaps, as Marina suggests, the only way to find out would be to simply let our senses rule and ignore all the guide lines that are imposed on us by society. Then again, I still think people would differ, which in effect would indicate that beautyin itself is non-existent, and is as a result a combined product of all our thoughts, experiences, memories, personality, etc. (in other words, our soul). I hate to admit it, but in this case, i almost have to agree with you.

Marina said...

Almost whoo!
without the almost.